Church of The Conversión de San Pablo

Religious buildings
Plaza San Antonio
Iglesia de la Conversión de San Pablo

This small church formed part of a home for destitute and fallen women, founded by Bishop Juan de Isla in 1680, even though its current Academicism appearance was designed by Torcuato Benjumeda in 1787.
It has a rectangular floor plan, with a single nave divided in three sections by Doric pilasters. The Doric façade is made up of two structures, with the first framed by pilasters and the second is finished by a triangular pediment. There is a white marble relief on the entrance opening representing the conversion of St. Paul, a work that belongs to the Genoese school from the end of the 17th century.
The altarpieces inside the church are from the time of the Benjumeda refurbishing and, except for one, are made out of coloured marbles. The main one, constructed in Genoa, consists of a single structure flanked by Corinthian columns, and is finished with a curved pediment. The main niche has the Christ of the “Ecce-Homo”, a polychrome wooden carving attributed to the sculptor José Montes de Oca and dating from around 1730.  There is a Baroque figure of the Saint that the church is named after, also made out of polychrome wood, in the attic.
The other altarpieces of the church follow designs of Torcuato Benjumeda. Special mention should be made of the carving of the Immaculate Conception by José Montes de Oca in 1719 or Our Lady of the Sacrament, dating back to the mid 18th century.


Misa: Lunes, míercoles y viernes a las 9.30h. Martes jueves y sábados a las 20.00h. Festivos a las 13.00h.

Pets not welcome
Calle Ancha, nº 34
Perfil de Facebook: