Cathedral

Categoría: 
Religious buildings
Zona: 
Plaza Catedral
Catedral

Cadiz’s golden century is the 18th century, when the monopoly of the trade to the Americas required an appropriate setting for the liturgical rites that the Old Cathedral of Santa Cruz could no longer off, despite its venerable antiquity. Work, partly funded the shippers to the Indies, therefore began on building a grandiose architectural design, the work of Vicente Acero in 1722.

The ingeniousness of the architecture added an original air to the design as it combined the Spanish architectural tradition with the Baroque forms from Italy. A Gothic style layout with a striking ambulatory is combined with the lavish lines that were typical of the Italian architects of the time.

Due to the scale of the task and the pace of the work, which was always determined by and sometimes brought to a halt by trade revenues, the construction process underwent different projects modifying the original drawings.  In fact,  the church was not consecrated until 1838.  Special mention should be made of the Neoclassical tastes that would be introduced over time, even though the spirit of Vicente Acero prevailed throughout the project. The changes in style are clear in the highest zones of the Cathedral: dome, towers and finishing of the main façade.

The layout is a Latin cross floor plan with three naves, ambulatory and side chapels. The naves are separated by  elliptical pillars with Corinthian columns with striated shafts at the ends. The main frontage, framed by two large towers that increase its scope, are divided into three sections. The central section has the white marble main entrance.

The octagonal towers are made up of three structures, the first in the Baroque style and the other two in the Neoclassical style. The dome, located on the transept, is noted for being yellow in colour created by the glazed tiles, with sculptures of the four Apostles rising up from its base.

There are a total of 16 chapels inside, including the Chapel of San Sebastián, which has a canvas that depicts its namesake, dated in 1621 and the work of Andrea Ansaldi from Genoa; the Chapel of San Servando y San Germán, which has Baroque carvings of those saints and the world of Luisa Roldán, La Roldana, dating back to 1687; the Chapel of Santa Teresa that has the processional monstrance of the Corpus Christi, made in silver between 1649 and 1664 and designed by Alejandro Saavedra, and the Main Chapel, which has a Neoclassical  circular shrine in coloured marble and gilt bronze, following the 1790 design by Manuel Machuca.

Special mention should be made of the crypt, designed by Vicente Acero and completed in 1726.  It is organised around a circular space covered by flat vaulting which opens up into rooms. The main feature is a rectangular area with niches for burials, in whose guide base there is a Genoese marble altar from the 17th century, with the white marble statute of Our Lady of the Rosary, a Baroque image of great quality attributed to the Italian sculpture Alessandro Algardi.  The famous men from Cadiz, Manuel de Falla and José Mª Pemán,  along with bishops from the diocese are buried in the crypt.

Horario: 

Summer and winter opening hours:

From 10.00 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.  Monday to Saturday

From 1.30 p.m. to 6.30 p.m. on Sundays

Mass: At noon on Sundays

From 10.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. on Holy Days of Obligation

From 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. on public holidays when cruise ships call into the city

 

Servicios: 
Pets not welcome
Assisted access
Cash
Dirección: 
Plza. de la Catedral s/n (Acceso adaptado)
Teléfono: 
+34 956 286 154
Correo electrónico: 
Audio: 

Location