Alameda Apodaca

Church of El Carmen

Iglesia del Carmen

The building of this church was completed in 1762.  Apart from its artistic importance, its historical importance is that it was the church where the solemn Te Deum was celebrated on 19 March 1812 to give thanks for the passing of the Cadiz Constitution, which was proclaimed in the afternoon of that day.

Alameda Apodaca

Alameda Apodaca

This promenade, battered by the storms, runs along the city ramparts overlooking the bay. Since the 17th century, it has been one of the most popular places in the city.  Down through the years, it has undergone many reforms, but its current appearance dates back to 1926.

Chapel of Our Lady of Las Angustias (Caminito)

Capilla de Nuestra Señora de las Angustias (Caminito)

This small chapel was built at the behest of the Capuchin monk, Pablo of Cadiz in around 1701, as the seat of the spiritual company of Our Lady of the Path (Caminito), which explains its nickname of Chapel of the Small Path. In the mid 18th century, this changed and the chapel was dedicated to Our Lady of Anguish (Las Angustias).
The façade, finished with a bulrush, has a entrance made out of white marble, in whose opening there is the eighteenth sculpture, also in marble, of the Virgin Mary with the dead Christ lying  in her arms.

Restaurante Balandro

El restaurante Balandro está situado en un enclave único de la geografía gaditana, balcón a la Bahía de Cádiz y adornado por los apacibles jardines de la Alameda Apodaca. El establecimiento pertenece al grupo Hermanos Vélez y está especializado en cocina de mercado con sello e identidad propia

Castillos y Baluartes de Cádiz

Este paseo circular rodea a la ciudad por su borde exterior siguiendo el trazado de sus antiguas defensas.

Candelaria Bastion

Baluarte de la Candelaria

This bastion was built on a corner of land jutting out to sea in 1672.  Its strategic position, between the San Felipe bastion and the fortifications near to La Caleta beach, greatly enhanced the protection on the western front. It was the most ambitious defensive project in Cadiz in the second half of the 17th century and the best example of its type preserved in the city. There is a series of casemates on the slopes of the exterior walls and two buildings from the 19th century form the edge of the complex.

Contemporary Design Area (ECCO)

Espacio de Creación Contemporánea (ECCO)

This modern cultural amenity is the result of the refurbishing and transformation of the former building of the Carlos III Garrison. The conversion of the military complex into a cultural space has created a system of consecutive areas that mean that the visitors make their way through the facilities in a series of rings.  The facilities have a museum area, lobby and landscaped courtyard.

Casa Palacio en la Alameda Apodaca

"Reina Sofía" Cultural Centre

Centro Cultural "Reina Sofía"

The home to the former Military Government, the “Reino Sofia” Cultural Centre was opened by HRH Queen Sofia of Spain in October 2006.  The works of Juan Luis Vasallo, one of the best Spanish sculptures of the 20th century, are its main attractions. Creator of The Minerva at Madrid's Fine Arts Circle, Juan Luis always wanted his work to be exhibited in the city where he was born. Therefore and thanks to the generosity of the family, his sculptures are in the courtyard, on the steps and on the second floor of the building.

Subscribe to RSS - Alameda Apodaca